Tax Lien Notes
While I'm not attorney I don't really want to say which states EXACTLY are good or not so good to buy in. But I can tell you where I personally buy and don't buy... My favorite states to invest in are Indiana, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Arizona. I wait 12 months for the owner to pay his or her bills and if they don't, I can go through the foreclosure process and the property in the end belongs to me free of any mortgages or hospital bills or any other liens.
I don't buy in Texas, Kentucky, Georgia because of the potential legal catastrophy it could cause and because of some liens that remain with the new home owner, no matter what.
Some states I stay away from because the redemption period is too long and I don't want to stay non-liquid for that long. I also don't buy in California as the deed never belongs to me but remains with the tax collector. Even if the bill doesn't get paid, I still don't get the property but it gets auctioned off to the highest bidder.
There are some states that are good, some are better, some are not so good and some are terrible. Laws change literally every year. So it's hard to put a finger on one state alone. It's all in the research!!!
The one thing I wish I would have known when starting out was not to spend unnecessary money on info mercial products that make it sound like you can get property for $200. While it's possible, it's not very likely and chances are very, very slim. The second most important thing to me is to find the states that "pardon" all liens, including IRS liens when your lien turns into property. Don't worry about WHAT liens are on the property as long as you know that the state you're investing in pardons those liens. The states I mentioned above nullify all liens if a lien matures into a property, at least for 2003. If you have any specific questions for a specific state, feel free to send me an e-mail at info@dynamicinvestmentsolutions.com
The ultimate goal is to have multiple liens in multiple states. Different states hold their auctions during different months, some of them do this purposely. So, while your SC liens from October might be paid back to by, let's say January, you are just in time to recycle your funds into AZ liens in February.